Emco and its divisions, business units, affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively “Emco“), respects and values the privacy of every individual, including suppliers, customers, and those who visit our Sites. We take great measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of personal information.
Emco is one of Canada’s largest national distributors of products for the residential, commercial and industrial construction markets. Emco collects Personal Information from customers, suppliers and other individuals in order to conduct its business, maintain records, and provide goods and services to these parties. Emco offers products in the distinct categories of plumbing, HVACR (heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration), industrial, and waterworks. For more information regarding our company, please see www.americanstandardairbc.ca.
Personal Information does not include any information that is solely used to communicate with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, or work electronic address.
At times, with notice to you, we may partner with third parties in the course of delivering certain Emco products and services. Any Personal Information disclosed to any third party for their purposes is dealt with in accordance with their privacy policies. Individuals are encouraged to review the privacy policies maintained by these third parties to understand how their Personal Information will be used by those entities.
PROVIDING AND WITHDRAWING CONSENT
Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent to certain collection, uses and disclosures of Personal Information at any time by making a written request to the Emco Profit Centre with which you do business or Emco’s Chief Privacy Officer (see the “How to Contact Emco” section below). If you refuse or withdraw your consent, Emco may not be able to provide you or continue to provide you with products and services or may be unable to process returns, exchanges or refunds. If you wish to withdraw your consent, you may have to provide identification acceptable to Emco.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping or legal compliance purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to receiving your request. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Emco collects Personal Information in a variety of ways including directly from you when you provide it, indirectly from your devices and online use, and from other third parties. We describe these ways in more detail below.
From you directly:
We may collect Personal Information when you provide your information to us directly. For example, Emco may collect information such as:
- Your name, email address, address, phone number, country of residence, password and other information that you provide to us when you purchase, order, return or exchange any of our products and services, request a quote or information about any of our products and services, request delivery, warranty or repair services, or provide us with comments or suggestions.
- Your name, email address, address, country of residence, phone number, qualifications for employment, employment history, education, assessments you complete, and reference and background check information when you apply for a job.
- Payment information, including payment card, account information and banking information on a cheque, if you make a purchase so that we can process the transaction.
- Name, contact information and related information when you visit one of our locations, attend one of our events, sign up for a contest, complete a survey, place a service request (either online or over the phone), contact an employee at one of our Profit Centres or are injured on, or suffer or cause property damage on, Emco’s premises.
- Images, movements, actions, or other identifiable information about our customers and other visitors may be captured by video equipment monitoring our properties. The purpose of such monitoring is to enhance security, safety and reasonable use and enjoyment by all lawful users of the property.
From your devices:
We collect Personal Information from your devices (including mobile devices), including:
- Through our digital services, including our Sites, our software applications and social media pages.
- Automatically when you visit our Sites on your device. This information may include your Media Access Control (MAC) address, type of computer or device, screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the services you are using.
- Automatically when you visit our Sites, via cookies and other digital markers:
o Emco or other third parties may send a “cookie” to your computer. A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to an individual’s Internet browser from a web server and stored on a person’s computer hard drive and that can be re-sent to the serving website on subsequent visits. A cookie, by itself, cannot read other data from the computer’s hard disk or read other cookie files already on the computer. Individuals may be able to choose whether or not to accept cookies by changing the settings of their Internet browser, but some functionality of the website may be impaired or not function as intended.
o We may assign users a unique internal identifier to help keep track of your future visits. We use this information to gather aggregate demographic information about users, and we use it to personalize the information users see on the website and some of the electronic communications users receive from us (if they have they provided their consent to receive such communications). We keep this information for our internal use, and this information is not shared with others.
From other third parties:
We may also collect Personal Information from other sources, such as consumer reporting agencies, government agencies, and others. For example:
- We may collect credit information from banks and credit reporting agencies if you apply for credit;
- We may obtain information about you from previous employers and government agencies as part of a reference or background check if you apply for employment or a contract position with Emco; and
- We also may receive information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, third-party repair or service Centres, and social media platforms.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect and use Personal Information for many purposes, including to:
- Provide you with Emco products and services and related activities, such as identifying customers, suppliers and others with whom Emco does business and to establish and maintain a relationship with them;
- Provide customers with ongoing service, including to process orders, to ensure proper delivery, warranty issues, and to better assist customers when they visit or call Emco;
- Initiate, maintain, and improve our relationship with you by providing you with personalization of your experience, including things like remembering your interests and preferences, customizing our products and services, facilitating your interactions with our employees, tracking and categorizing your activity and interests on our website and mobile application, and enriching your experiences with Emco;
- Communicate with you, such as when you call us, make a request or inquiry, enter a contest, complete a survey, or share a comment or concern. As well, we use this information to respond to and investigate your inquiries, send you newsletters, brochures, alerts or other materials, to request and provide feedback, and to facilitate social sharing and communication;
- Facilitate a transaction and provide products and services, such as to complete and fulfill a purchase or order, to process a payment, process, maintain or service an account, have an order delivered, communicate regarding a purchase, and provide related customer service;
- Operate and improve our products, services and business and maintain our programs, accounts, and records;
- Perform analytics, such as to understand and improve how people use our Sites (e.g. Google analytics), mobile applications, and products and services, generate insights and understand how people interact with us;
- Create statistics to further our business (these statistics do not contain any information that could potentially identify any individual customer, supplier or others with whom we do business);
- Consider you for employment; and
- Defend or protect ourselves, and our employees or third parties, from harm or in legal proceedings, protect our security and the security of our employees and third parties, address legal and regulatory compliance, notify you of safety and security issues (e.g. recalls) and complying with legal and contractual requirements.
LIMITED USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not use or disclose your Personal Information for purposes that are not identified at the time of collection, except with your consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
We may disclose Personal Information to third parties, including the following:
- To credit reporting agencies to review credit information when you apply for credit and to government institutions as required by law;
- To third party contest or promotions providers, or payment card providers if you elect to participate;
- To business partners for matters such as warranties and the purchase of products and services;
- To assist us in collecting any debt owed to us by you; and
- To our service providers who help us operate and maintain the Sites and our service providers for payment processing, IT services, and customer service.
Each of our service providers is required to protect the privacy of your Personal Information, and to only handle your Personal Information for Emco’s purposes (and not for its own purposes).
On rare occasions, we may disclose Personal Information without your knowledge or consent where we have reason to believe we are required or permitted by law to do so (e.g. in response to a warrant or subpoena, in an emergency that threatens life or safety, etc.). When we are required or permitted by law to disclose Personal Information, we take reasonable steps to verify the lawful authority (where applicable) for the request and we disclose only the information that is legally required or otherwise permitted to be disclosed.
As well, we contract with a number of service providers to provide us with cloud computing services. Cloud computing is the provision of network-based services, located on remote computers, that allows us to use software and hardware operated by third parties, such as online file storage and business applications. At present, our cloud computing service providers process and store information (including Personal Information) in the United States and Canada. You acknowledge that when you provide us with your information, it will be processed and stored in these countries and the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of these jurisdictions may be able to obtain disclosure of your Personal Information pursuant to their laws.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Emco retains your Personal Information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required or permitted by law.
Emco does not knowingly collect or use Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 and believe that they have provided us with Personal Information, please contact us immediately (see the “How to Contact Emco” section below).
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that Personal Information we use or disclose is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the specified purpose. We rely on your assistance with this, and you should contact us if your information changes (see the “How to Contact Emco” section below).
Upon written request, we will inform you of the existence, uses, and disclosures of your Personal Information and give you access to that information, except where to do so would reveal confidential commercial information, or where permitted or required by law. Please direct your request to our Chief Privacy Officer (see the “How to Contact Emco” section below). If we are unable to provide access to all of the Personal Information that we hold about you, we will provide the reasons for denying access to you.
You will be required to provide sufficient information so that we can confirm your identity and process your request. We only use the information provided to address your request.
We will respond to all requests for access to information within 30 business days from the receipt of request.
If you find that the information provided to you is inaccurate or incomplete, you may contact us (see the “How to Contact Emco” section below) and we will amend this information, as appropriate. If we determine that it is inappropriate to amend your information, we will note this within our records.
HOW TO CONTACT EMCO